November Local Food News
News from some of our favourite Devon food outlets and restaurants
Real Food Exeter (store and cafe) are finalists for R4 ‘Best Local Retailer’.
Congratulations and good luck to the inspirational Real Food Exeter (store and cafe), who have made it to the final 3 of Radio 4’s ‘Best Local Retailer’. Judges Arthur Potts Dawson of the People's Supermarket and Simon Parkes of Radio 4's Food Programme have been to the store to find out what Real Food Exeter are all about. What they are all about is LOCAL FOOD, seasonal, and good value – providing a positive shopping alternative in central Exeter. Winners will be announced on 28th November.
Due to popular demand The Real Food Cafe is extending opening hours to 9.30am - 5pm Monday to Saturday at the very least up until Christmas. Great coffee, light meals made with seasonal produce, cakes and snacks, changing gallery space for local artists, and free wi-fi too.
The store is also now open every Thursday until 8pm for late night shopping in the run up to Christmas. Don’t just get your own weekly groceries there, how about making a local hamper of Devon Foods as a present for friends and family?
Outstanding Contribution Award for Exeter restaurant @Angelas
Photo: Angela Valder of @Angelas proudly displaying her award
Exeter restaurant @Angelas on New Bridge Street have just won Devon Food and Drink’s ‘Outstanding Contribution’ accolade. Angela Valder’s 'outstanding service' set her apart from others. Located in the heart of Exeter, the restaurant is passionate about their food and how it should be experienced. The judges found the service to be 'fabulous' and credited the restaurant for its very good use of Devon products.
@Angelas extended to 40 covers in May – taking over the shop next door. The restaurant has lost none of its intimate charm.
- TyePyeDong Noodle Bar on Sidwell Street, Exeter. Recommended by Jean-Baptiste of the Railway in Honiton, recently tried, tested and approved by the lucky SarahLocalExpert. They serve ‘Oriental fusion food’ (a mix of Japanese and Chinese food with other Asian influences), all freshly cooked to order and served without fuss.
- The Lazy Toad at Brampford Speke – recent winner Taste of the West 'South West Dining Pub of the Year'. The Lazy Toad believe so firmly in local food that they have been known to source from local allotment holders!
- The Thatched Cottage in Kingsteignton, a family run restaurant in an oak-beamed 16th Century House, complete with roaring open fire. Recommended by my own parents, and endorsed by Charlie Tinnyunt of the Old Rydon Inn, another excellent restaurant in Kingsteignton.
PHOTO: Iain Smith – Our Local Wine Expert
Iain Smith will be hosting some intimate wine tastings at his wine shop (in Magdalen Road, Exeter) over the next 6 weeks. To be held on Tuesday nights, starting at 7.30pm, with the aim of giving people the opportunity to try wines from around the world.
Each event is limited to 10 people only and will include some very nice nibbles to enjoy with the wine. Each evening will be themed and offer a range of styles flavours and price points and will therefore be priced accordingly to cover the wines on tasting.
Places are sure to go quickly, so call Iain quickly on 01392 426550 to register your interest.
- Tuesday 6th November £15 per person - France
- Tuesday 13th November £15 per person - Italy
- Tuesday 20th November £12.50 per person - Spain (in conjunction with Codorniu)
- Tuesday 27th November £17.50 per person - The Americas
- Tuesday 4th December £15.00 per person - The Antipodes
- Tuesday 11th December £25.00 per person - Fizz [I’m not quite sure which country ‘Fizz’ is, but I think I’d like to go there.]
Doug Pestell of La Petite Maison in Topsham is delighted to be in the Good Food Guide again this year, but of course he should be there – here he is celebrating.
YOU could win a meal at La Petite Maison, Topsham by recommending local independent businesses that you use and trust in our annual reader competition.
Our East Devon competition winners last year enjoyed their meal at the Holt, Honiton so much that they’ve already returned! The Holt is Otter Brewery’s first dining pub, and it’s an award winning venue!
Here’s prizewinner Yehudi Levine – you can see in front of him three tasting glasses – as he couldn’t decide which Otter to enjoy with his meal. Read Yehudi’s excellent review of the Holt.